Sunday, November 09, 2008

back in Oz

I spent the day watching a bunch of 4- and 5-year olds in Wizard of Oz costumes chasing each other around, laughing, crying, fighting - generally having a 4- and 5-year old blast. It could have been a nightmare, I guess, but it was really fun. For the older folks, too.
  1. Was it the beautiful fall day?
  2. The nature of probably the greatest American movie?
  3. The general community spirit of goodwill that is permeating the country at the moment?
  4. A combination of all of the above?
Well as to the first, at least in the greater DC area, the weather has been gorgeous and looks to stay that way. Score one for a mild climate (and hopefully not global warming.)

The Wizard of Oz, per the second question, has been delighting children, adults and probably even small animals since it came out in 1939. There is something about the music and the fantasy and the iconic display of friendship that has never been equaled. There are so many stories about the making of the film, from interesting trivia to the semi-scandalous. The cyclone, the Wicked Witch, the flying monkeys - I could go on and on. And well, there's no place like home.

My brother and I grew up with a B&W television. We had seen the movie several times on TV and loved it. One summer, while we were living in Manasquan, NJ, the local movie theater booked the film. My mom insisted that we go see it. My brother and I were up for a treat, but weren't that excited - we'd seen it before. She quietly insisted and off we went. The movie started and it was great to see it on a large screen, so we were enjoying ourselves. Judy Garland sang, the cyclone hit, the house spun around and around and then bang, it landed. Dorothy picked up Toto and went to open the door and...we SCREAMED! The Technicolor was amazing. Oz was amazing. My mom was amazing, for keeping that secret so well, so that we could enjoy the surprise when it happened. I don't know if anyone else in the theater noticed the two kids with the enormous grins on their faces, but we loved that movie that day. And I still catch my breath, every time she opens that door, when I see it today. We all need a little magic in our lives.

And about the third item, well, I think we're painting the Beltway an attractive shade of yellow brick for January. Can't wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment