Sunday, November 23, 2008

ho ho ho?

One of the local radio stations started playing Xmas music - all day, all the time, last Friday. What? It's not even Thanksgiving yet.

I understand the retail impulse to start inundating us with Santa merchandise right after Halloween. I hate that, but can dismiss it as crass, greedy and unavoidable. But if you start playing the holiday tunes before it's even Thanksgiving, that's just too much. How can anyone even try to contemplate what they might be thankful for if they are already being forced to worry about if they can afford to get everyone (anyone) presents this year?

I'm impatient for January 20 and our new president, but I can even wait for that. Isn't anticipation half the fun of most of the really good things in life?

I love the Ray Charles rendition of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, but I can wait until November 28 or even later to hear it. Tis the season, sigh...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holiday music around here is kicked off by Alice's Restraunt on Thanksgiving followed then by Holiday tunes 24/7 through December 25th.However I have to admit that this year I started making Christmas gifts the day after Halloween so to get in the spirit I have played The classics. Every version of Rudolph, Heat Miser/Snow Miser,Bowie/Bing Drummer Boy, Carol of the Bells and my sentimentsal favorite (sentimental because it reminds me of you and your brother singing together in peace and harmony) Happy Christmas/(war is over).

xoxoxo said...

for all my whining, I'll be playing that 24/7 Xmas music station in the car at least as of 11/28...

Post a Comment