Wednesday, February 18, 2009

five years

Cinque annos. Cinque ans. Cinco años. My daughter is almost five.

How have we changed these past five years? She has grown tall and beautiful and intelligent and willful and loving and temporarily deaf when it suits her.

I have grown frazzled and delighted and cranky and worried and amazed and hopeful and fearful and impatient.

I need to relax and enjoy more and not let the hectic schedule of our lives always set the pace. Hopefully she will continue to be patient with me as I try to learn this.

She needs to slow down and pay attention and only get sucked into the huge media machine from time to time.

It's a big huge world out there full of wonderful things just waiting for her.

Hopefully I will be able to share with her what I love and guide her only slightly and let her choose and discover what she truly loves.

6 comments:

Susan said...

5 is a wonderful, magical age. Enjoy!
Susan

Kelly O said...

These are great photos, too!

xoxoxo said...

Aren't they cool? It's from the Pippoloti Rist installation at MoMA. We spent more time show-playing than watching the video, but it was an art experience!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! You are the diamond in the sky.
We love you,
j,p,Z,z

jane said...

Wow, being a mom is such a big job isn't it? And so different than when we were growing up.I worry about being up to the task and I also want for my little one to have an analogue experience of the world not just a computer screen view of things. Maybe that's why I keep handing her crayons and paper.

xoxoxo said...

My "big" gift to the 5-year old girl this year is my "obsolete" Powerbook with OS9 on it, not that she will know that she's not cutting edge. She will be able to bang away on the keys, do a little drawing and play one computer game that still works in that OS. I am a little excited to see how she reacts to it, Of course, every night the paper and crayons are out, so I'm not too worried about her being only computer oriented - that's my problem! And anyway, the Barbie will probably trump all the gifts, so it goes...

I think that we can never be completely up to the task - we can just do the best we can. At least that's my plan.

Post a Comment