Wednesday, April 08, 2009

everybody into the pool

David Hockney Portrait of an Artist (Pool with Two Figures)
1971 (110 Kb); Acrylic on canvas, 214 x 304.8 cm (84 x 120 in); Collection David Geffen

The last few days I have been getting a whiff of summer, but not in a good way. It has been reported that chemical treatment of D.C. water has been bumped up - something to do with cleaning the pipes, but on the local T.V. news hinted that these extra precautions might be a reflection of increased tourism to the area. I'm not sure if I'm more concerned by the possible bacteria in the water being treated, or the state of D.C. water in general, which requires all this "extra" chlorine.

I don't drink the water. Generally most of the water I consume is boiled (tea) or bottled (convenient.) I do wonder if it is really necessary to pump all these additional chemicals into our water supply, or if someone, somewhere, is just crossing their "T"s. God knows enough of that goes on in this town. As much as I love summer, I am not in a hurry to conjure up a poolside moment, but as I wash dishes or brush my teeth, I close my eyes and take a deep breath - ahhh chlorine...

0 comments:

Post a Comment