Thursday, August 13, 2009

po-mo

An interesting meme appears in this post from the L.A. Times blog, "61 essential postmodern reads." I've never really considered myself a post-modernist, at least not by intent, as I tend to really enjoy the classics, but was surprised as much by how many of these books I had read as how many that I haven't.

I've already read:
Jorge Luis Borges "Labyrinths"
William S. Burroughs "Naked Lunch"(got so disgusted with it that I actually tossed it in the trash getting off the subway at 14th Street and never looked back. Only book I've ever thrown out, and I LOVE books. Sorry, Burroughs fans. Although I'll admit he can use language wonderfully at times, at other times it was just self-indulgent crap.)
Italo Calvino "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler"
Nathaniel Hawthorne "The Scarlet Letter"
Franz Kafka "Metamorphosis"
William Shakespeare "Hamlet"
Kurt Vonnegut "Slaughterhouse Five"
What would your list be like?

Some more to add to my "to-read" list:
Paul Auster "New York Trilogy" (I've been meaning to read this forever)
Umberto Eco "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" (not sure how I missed this one)
Art Spiegelman "Maus I & II" (I've only scanned parts of it)
David Foster Wallace "Infinite Jest"
What do you think is missing? My nominations:
Angela Carter "The Bloody Chamber" (read)
John Berger "Ways of Seeing" (?)
Virginia Woolf "Orlando" (read)
Gunter Grass "Tin Drum" (read)
Who says nobody reads anymore...

0 comments:

Post a Comment