Sunday, October 18, 2009

drying out

The DC area has been inundated with a steady stream of rain for days and days. Most of the time it was "just" a mist, but it succeeded in completely soaking everything. Before anyone says, "Well, we needed the rain," I will politely demand that they zip it. No area needs a constant, steady, depressing drizzle. Not even Seattle. We took a drive yesterday to visit some relatives in nearby VA, and when making a curving turn onto the highway access ramp on a road I've taken a million times before on a million weekends, we hydroplaned, the car swinging to the right, then the left, before I was able to regain control of the car. The road didn't look slick and we weren't even going that fast. It was simply saturated. Luckily, there weren't any other cars too close, and the kid didn't even notice, apart from the weird squeals and yelps that I emitted before I regained control. Or an illusion of control. I am extremely excited about the prospect of this week's dry-out. Temps in the 60s are forecast, and for those of you who might dare to say, "But that's not October weather," I politely respond, "Zip it."

0 comments:

Post a Comment