Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the devil is in the details

When we were reminsicing about Italy this weekend I thought about one of my favorite places in Florence (a city I could happily live in tomorrow), Santa Maria Novella. Of course the Ghirlandaio frescoes are amazing, but what has always captured my fancy are frescoes in the Spanish Chapel, a site easily missed, as you have to walk outside and through the cloister to get to it.

Descent of Christ to Limbo by Andrea di Bonaiuto

I love the everyday feeling of this detail from one of the frescoes. It may be the apocalypse, with rocks burning around them, but these three devils are taking a moment to chat, water cooler style.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

atthebench said...

I have this exact postcard on my fridge! I remember you recommending this place to me the last time I went to Florence, gorgeous!!

jane said...

Florence is beautiful. It's one of those places I have great memories of. It was our first stop in Italy and we had hooked up with a girl from Florence on the train. She took us to a hill top above the city and I remember sitting in a pine tree grove looking down on the city before going to her favorite gelato spot. I'm not sure we made it to the Spanish Chapel but these devils are great. I love the mohawk on the blue one.

I would love to go back to Italy one day. Maybe we should plan a single moms trip.

xoxoxo said...

when the dust clears, i'm all for looking up flight schedules!

Aly said...

Beautiful ..another reason to return to Italy. Lovely memory Jane. Unfortunately my first visit to Florence was annoying. Full of obnoxious Americans..;) At the time the exchange was a crazy 3 to 1...
and the tourist where literally high from
all the shopping. I never seen anything quite like it..

But then we went to Venice and the experience of discovering this city alone by night without a map (longer story..) was truly amazing.

Thanks for the reminder xoxoxoxe!

Post a Comment