Sunday, April 25, 2010

salvia fritta


from hynesghpstudio on flickr


Yesterday we had a great family visit, and one of the topics (of course, we're Italian) was reminiscing over fabulous food eaten on Italian journeys, specifically Piedmontese cuisine. I'll tell a truffle story later, but today I want to re-savor one of the most delicious appetizers I have ever had, salvia fritta, fried sage leaves.

Cruising the internets I have found several recipes. They seem so incredibly easy to prepare I wonder why it never occurred to me to try before. I guess that the occasion where I had them was a special one, in a very beautiful restaurant in Torino, and they marked the beginning of a series of wonderful courses, so I had always associated them with this sort of eating, which is far from my daily eating experience.

But there is truly no reason not to make any meal special, so if I can fit them somehow onto the menu in future I most certainly will.

Salvia Fritta
Wash several large sage leaves in cold water, drain, blot on paper towels.
Beat one or two large eggs with a pinch of salt.
Mix dried bread crumbs in a large dish for the coating (some recipes I found use flour and water rather than eggs and bread crumbs, some no batter at all)
Heat some olive oil in a pan.
Dip each leaf, first in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, coating both sides. Place in hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
Serve and enjoy!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment