Saturday, May 29, 2010

reason 5,987,645,321 i effin' hate windows

Grandma bought the kid a PC netbook last Xmas. I took a deep breath and welcomed the evil empire into my iHouse. The little crappy thing has kept her amused, although I had to uber-secure it. She was able to access the PBS Kids Sprout website, some reading and math games and not much else.

The other night it crashed for the umpteenth time and when we rebooted it came back with the latest Windows update—in German, the one language I have absolutely no clue about. It couldn't freak out into Italian, French, or Spanish? I have been trying every night since to try to get it back to English, with the help of Google translate. No matter how many times I try to restore it to a previous moment in time before the reboot or change the Regional-und Spracheinstellungen [Regional and Language settings] back to English it stubbornly stays German. Scheiße.



Das iPad in all seiner Pracht [Behold the iPad in All Its Glory]

I'm about at the end of my rope. I've been toying with the idea of an iPad being in our future, but I really wasn't in much of a rush. But if this p.o.s. doesn't respond soon, the kid may get to share with Grandma a much more user-friendly versatile tool. And I bet it doesn't crash once a week, either.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment