Wednesday, June 09, 2010

photo paintings

Flavorwire led me to these amazing painterly photographs by Andrei Tarkovsky.

I usually like my film to be a bit more kinetic than the slow ruminations that Tarkovsky is known for such as The Sacrifice, which, when I saw it in its initial New York release, bored me to distraction. I understood that it was his last film, made when he knew he was dying, but it was still a very difficult film to endure.

But Tarkovsky also made Andrei Rublev, for which I am very grateful.

These are most definitely photographs, but they have the same beauty as a Monet, Matisse, or Bonnard.













Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Aly said...

These images are gorgeous. Interestingly, The Sacrifice is one of my favorite films, ever. I am a huge fan of Tarkosky's work. Thanks for posting..xoxoxox e

xoxoxo said...

I definitely liked parts of it, but it was an endurance test for me when I saw it. That was a long time ago. Maybe I'd be more open to it now...

Post a Comment