Sunday, January 09, 2011

(b)ratpack

The kid loves Der Bingle. She's almost seven, but I think she's seen White Christmas that many times already. Over the holidays we watched that movie a few times as well as a special on PBS on Bing, featuring his many television specials and guests.
[on Frank Sinatra] Frank is a singer who comes along once in a lifetime, but why did he have to come in mine?
I actually remember seeing Bing's duet with David Bowie on television with my parents in Crosby's Christmas special first run, although I didn't realize at the time that Bing was recently no more. I guess my parents didn't tell me.
[about Elvis Presley] He helped to kill off the influence of me and my contemporaries, but I respect him for that. Because music always has to progress, and no-one could have opened the door to the future like he did.
I just downloaded some pix from the iPhone and lo and behold my budding iPhonographer had documented one of the best numbers on the special, Bing with Frankie and Dino. My little (b)ratpacker. Maybe I can rent Robin and the Seven Hoods next ...


[on Judy Garland] The most talented woman I ever knew was Judy Garland. She was a great, great comedienne and she could do more things than any girl I ever knew. Act, sing, dance, make you laugh. She was everything. I had a great affection for her. Such a tragedy. Too much work, too much pressure, the wrong kind of people as husbands.

Der Bingle quotes from imdb

Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment