Thursday, December 20, 2012

the kid's new fave xmas song

"Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" is still probably her all-time favorite, but this year my daughter heard this holiday novelty song on the radio and loved it. It's incredibly goofy, but I love hearing the kid sing along. And I find myself doing it, too.



The song, "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" came out in 1953 and was performed by Oklahoma child star Gayla Peevey. The song was such a success that there was actually a campaign to gift Peevey with an actual hippopotamus for Christmas, which she later donated to a local zoo.

I probably should have mentioned that once you listen to "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas", it becomes a true earworm for the rest of the day. Ooops.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Sonia E said...

This one doesn't get much air play. I never thought that a girl might be singing.

xoxoxo said...

I didn't think it was a kid, either. I thought it was the same gal who sings Rockin' Around the Christmas tree.

Post a Comment