Friday, March 06, 2015

favorite song friday: off to the races

I've been listening to Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence on long-ish car rides. I love it so much. It's got a great mix of retro and what's happening right now. Her phrasing, quirky line readings. One of the most infectious, fun tracks is "Off to the Races," a Billie Holiday-esque song about modern, substance-soaked love. It's naughty and nice. I love it.


"Light of his life, fire of his loins
Keep me forever, tell me you own me
Light of your life, fire of your loins
Tell me you own me, gimme them coins

And I'm off to the races, cases of Bacardi chasers
Chasing me all over town
Cause he knows I'm wasted, facing
Time again at Riker's Island and I won't get out
Because I'm crazy, baby I need you to come here and save me
I'm your little scarlet, starlet singing in the garden
Kiss me on my open mouth

Now I'm off to the races, laces
Leather on my waist is tight and I am fallin' down
I can see your face is shameless, Cipriani's basement
Love you but I'm going down
God I'm so crazy, baby, I'm sorry that I'm misbehaving
I'm your little harlot, starlet, Queen of Coney Island
Raising hell all over town
Sorry 'bout it"


Here she is performing it live:

0 comments:

Post a Comment